Why they do that?
This test is performed to detect chromosomal disorders. If in your 3rd month ultrasound they found increased risk in downsyndrome, they will suggest you to do this. Since ultrasound test false positive rate is high. But amniocentesis 95% u'll get perfect result. u can even say 99%.
How it is performed?
ultrasound guided procedure, so harming the baby, u can say .001%. Usually experts only do this procedure. They will find the exact location of fetus thru ultrasound, long thin needle is inserted through the abdomen and in to the uterus. A small amount of amniotic fluid, which surrounds the baby is collected for the test.
How painful it is?
I did the test. I didnt feel the pain at all. Its just a min procedure..If they found the baby move inside or towards the needle will wait for 10-15 sec..In my case, I was looking at the monitor when they insert the needle, I found the baby is moving as though he want to grab the needle, so I was little worried about that.....but everything is fine. Waiting period for the test result is little painful ;-D...
Risks involved...
There is a slight chance of infection or injury to the fetus. There is even a smaller chance of miscarriage. This test is typically performed when a problem is suspected, so the benefits outweigh the risk.
After the procedure u shouldnt lift weight (anything weighing more than 10-15 pounds), exercise or other vigorous physical activity (including sex)...
If you found
1. spotting, heavy discharge or leakage of fluid
2. Excessive cramping (lasting longer than 30 min)
3. A fever which develops with in 48hrs
4. Excessive pain or swelling at site of the procedure..u should immediately call the doctor or health care provider.
In my case, I didnt find any such thing..I am perfectly alright. And they said most of them are..Till then they did around more than 2000 cases, none called them with problem....
thats it...
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment